Skip to main content

Euro Adventure Pt 4 - And Then, There Was Paris

When an alarm goes off at 3am a few things go through your head... What the bloody hell! Is this a joke? Did I put in the wrong time? AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH! The 3am wake up call was definitely not fun. But we were determined to make it to Paris - which we did. 

After putting on our faces and our best we are not zombies from the walking dead impressions - we headed down to our buses and piled on for our drive to Portsmouth (2 hours outside of London) one of the few ports that ferries were crossing from. We were there by about 615am and found out we couldn't catch a ferry until 9am... OH NO NOT MORE WAITING AROUND!!! At least we weren't waiting around for nothing. Today I woke up feeling a little unwell - a sniffly nose and a tickle in my throat - that cannot be a good sign... 

So we waited. And waited. And waited a little more. We waited in the line of a coffee shop and we waited in line to get through security. We even waited at the entrance of the ferry for the rest of our tour to finally show up. But alas. We were on and then we were off. Now I have never been on a ferry like this before but I never excepted to feel sooooo nauseous and unwell. Alysha very smartly took some kwells and felt mostly fine - she even tried to sneak in a little nap. We ended up sitting in some reclining chairs watching Geordie Shore.

Finally we had made it to France!!! Bonjour France! VIVA LA FRANCE!!! Had to go through customs and got my first chance to dust of my very rusty high school French. Bonjour Monsieur - I said! Bonjour, ca va? - he asked. Bien - I replied with a smile. Then i didn't quite catch what he said (which was in English so I got confused and just waved au revoir with a pathetic wave. Darn. Oh well - better luck next time Tegan. 

We took our suitcases out to where the Topdeck bus was meeting us - YES! It was finally all starting! 



We met out driver Greg who is from Krakow in Poland and has a thick Polish accent - he seems like a lot of fun though. We began our long drive to Paris - about 4 hours with a toilet stop at a service station in the middle. We started to get to know our fellow travellers with introductions and a little game of two truths, one lie. 

Mine were:
- I studied at uni for 5 years and never got my degree
- I have a three year old son called James
- I have been kicked out of a music festival after 15 minutes

Alysha's were:
- I'm dating a surgeon
- I've seen 6 child births
- I've done a volunteer trip to Vanuatu

It was a lot of fun - some people have done some amazing things in their lives. Just wow.

Ah Paris - where have you been all my life. My absolute favourite place in the whole world. It was just as I remember it 7 years ago (wow has it been 7 years already?), so beautiful, so French. The breathtaking architecture, the River Seine, the shops, the cafe's that face out onto the road (for people watching of course), oh and that tower. That glorious iron tower that makes Paris what it is. Amazing.



We began our driving tour of Paris with Noddie pointing out all of the sites and giving us a brief history lesson of Paris and France. Just to name a few, we saw; the Champ de Mars, Napolean's Tomb, Museé Rodin, Place de la Concord, Arc D'Triomphe, Musee Du Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, Notre Dame, the Champs-Élysée and finally returned back to the Eiffel Tower where we had an amazing Parisian picnic dinner. It was very delish, antipasto platters, Camembert, macaroons, eclairs, fresh fruit, salad, frogs legs - no I wasn't game enough to try one. 

We had some free to explore or climb the Eiffel Tower - Alysha, Taylor and Sam were brave enough to climb all 700 stairs of the Eiffel Tower and enjoyed the sweat and magnificent views from high above Paris.



I was still feeling pretty crook from my imminent cold and my cough was slowly getting worse so I took a pass on the climb and walked around on my own, enjoying the delightful view of the Eiffel Tower - even had a lovely chat with a Frenchman who tried to sell me champagne - I may have convinced him to visit Australia haha. We all met back up for the prime time viewing of the Sparkle. 



I have no words. What a great way to end the day! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Adventures Pt 28 - Our Last Day In London - Let's Visit The Queen!

Our last day in London - where has the time gone?? It seems like only yesterday we were packing our bags, getting on the planes, meeting out Topdeck family... It's all gone so fast!! I'll try not to get all emotional for all my blog readers out there - but it may be inevitable. I really am such a lucky person - I never thought I would be able to see the world once, let alone twice - and with one of my closest friends as well. Very lucky indeed.  Today we are off to visit the queen!! We want to see Buckingham Palace and the changing of the guard. We caught the underground and walked across Green Park to where this massive golden and black gates were - then we saw it. Just like in all the movies we had seen and exactly how I imagined it... Buckingham Palace. The majesty and beauty of this building was like nothing I have seen. Plus the queen lives there! How cool is that?!  We were typical tourists and took lots of photos and then found the prime position to wait out the morning

Euro Adventures Pt 16 - Wild Boar Panini's and a Relaxing Afternoon in Roma

Another day another dollar - oh wait...I don't have to go to work today. Haha. We have another drive day today to get to Rome - our last stop in Italy before getting into Greece and the Greek Islands. It was about 4-5 hours from Florence to Rome and we had an early lunch stop at a little town called Orvieto.  It was a beautiful little town except for one fact - it was on the absolute top of a mountain - making it very had to take over in war and times of unrest. Noddy told us that the last person to conquer Orvieto was Julius Caesar - she also told us that they were famous for their porchetta panini's (wild boar rolls)... We had to try one. Being a town on a giant cliff face we had to catch a strangle little train/carriage thing from the bottom to the top. We then had a very steep walk up to the town centre - Orvieto also had a Duomo that looked like a liquorice all-sort on one side.  We had some free time so some of the group went to do a tour of the underground tunnels of the

Euro Adventures Pt 13 - Gondolas, SpeedBoats & Souvenirs? Oh My!

A day in Venice - that's the dream. We arose nice and early in the morning to bus it into the outskirts of the old city of Venice. Made up of over 150 islands joined by bridges and canals, we had to get the people mover (kind of like a monorail) into the main part of the city. You can't drive cars in or around the more historic part of Venice so we began our journey into St Marc's square on foot. It was a very long walk and our guide, Noddy, does walk very very fast. We stopped at a few key places along the way to take photos, the Da Vinci museum, the Academia gallery, the Academia bridge and finally into St Marc's Square.  It has been 7 long years since I have been to Venice but it was just as I remember... Except there were hardly any people. We were there quite early in the morning so there were very few tourists at this stage and the souvenir stall owners were just starting to set up. After a walk around last the Basilica, the Doges Palace and the Bridge of Sighs we