Skip to main content

Euro Adventures Pt 26 - Our Day Out With Bren & Ros

Another early wake up - 630am this time, I have no idea why I keep waking up hours before my alarm goes off. I did my best to get back to sleep then decided it was time for Starbucks!! One of the great things about being in Europe... Starbucks EVERYWHERE!! How is it that one district can have 4 Starbucks and we can't even have 1 in Canberra? Just devo.

After brekkie we headed down to the station meet Brendan & Roslyn, our tour guides for the day - how amazing are they?! I'm so stoked to have friends who have been living here in London for several months. They know soooooo much stuffs - hopefully I didn't bombard them with too many questions. We all got on the underground and headed to Camden Town to visit the Camden Markets - whoop so exciting!


The Camden Markets were so quirky and fun and had soooo many different stalls and things to buy. Clothes, jewellery, food, drink, donuts, blankets, bags, leather goods - there was so much - mostly handmade things (or so they say). The market stalls were quirky and the people who ran them were very chatty, the markets were just about their own suburb and had beautiful outlooks - I didn't buy anything but Alysha bought a hilarious 'keep calm I'm a nurse' shirt. We walked past a donut/cronut stall and Brendan had to stop and get one... So of course... How could we refuse... Cronuts all round - YUMMMMMMMMM


We caught the underground to Knightsbridge  (which is where Brendo works) so we could to the Natural History Museum - as seen in such popular films as Night at the Museum 3. It was pretty awesome and we all definitely learnt a lot - my favourite (and alysha's favourite) area was the dinosaur section!! It was especially cook, fossils and bones and life size robot recreations. It was wicked. I want a miniature version of the robot T-Rex... 


After spending a few hours in the museum we were all starving - Ros and Bren took us down to South Kensington to Byron Burger - it was pretty goddam amazing. The food here is actually not as expensive as I thought it would be - but I still am paying a lot more than what I pay at home. Oh well, as long as it tastes good that's all we care about. 

We then headed to Piccadilly Circus (we were smashing the underground today) to go to MnM world... To say were excited was a massive understatement. There were MnM's everywhere... Absolutely everywhere, you could even have MnM's personalised with messages or images. There were people everywhere - children everywhere - chocolate everywhere. Like heaven in a three storey shop. 

After getting some gifts and chocolate for ourselves we headed into a massive souvenir shop called Cool Britannia - there was a guy dressed head to toe in Union Jack clothing - even his shoes - he was dressed up as a thousand English flags. There were people everywhere, because it was Saturday there were heaps of locals out and about as well (you can always tell the locals as they are rushing around and shove you on the underground). 

We headed back to our hotel so we could start to et ready for our big night out seeing Mamma Mia! We dolled ourselves up a little bit and walked down to the theatre - how lucky that it was only a 10 minute walk from where we were staying. We were super early so we had a glass of pre show Prosecco before heading in. It was such an incredible show, the music, the costumes, the singers, it was great. We both enjoyed it sooooo much. 


On a more hilarious note - I still have my Topdeck SARS (which loosely translated is a persistent cough that won't go away), and the two Indian ladies sitting next to me were apparently very offended by my coughing. I did my very best to keep it to a minimum - which I did, but they held tissues over their faces the entire show!! So insane! The original lady that was next to me swapped with her friend (apparently she thought I was too gross to deal with). Those ridiculous old ladies made the night even more fun.


We made our way back to our hotel, stopping on the way to pick up some dinner - we are fast becoming the queens of the late dinner. We caught the end of two movies on TV and headed to bed - we had such a great day with Brendan and Roslyn! I'm
Absolutely stoked that I was able to see them while I'm in London. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Adventures Pt 28 - Our Last Day In London - Let's Visit The Queen!

Our last day in London - where has the time gone?? It seems like only yesterday we were packing our bags, getting on the planes, meeting out Topdeck family... It's all gone so fast!! I'll try not to get all emotional for all my blog readers out there - but it may be inevitable. I really am such a lucky person - I never thought I would be able to see the world once, let alone twice - and with one of my closest friends as well. Very lucky indeed.  Today we are off to visit the queen!! We want to see Buckingham Palace and the changing of the guard. We caught the underground and walked across Green Park to where this massive golden and black gates were - then we saw it. Just like in all the movies we had seen and exactly how I imagined it... Buckingham Palace. The majesty and beauty of this building was like nothing I have seen. Plus the queen lives there! How cool is that?!  We were typical tourists and took lots of photos and then found the prime position to wait out the morning

Euro Adventures Pt 16 - Wild Boar Panini's and a Relaxing Afternoon in Roma

Another day another dollar - oh wait...I don't have to go to work today. Haha. We have another drive day today to get to Rome - our last stop in Italy before getting into Greece and the Greek Islands. It was about 4-5 hours from Florence to Rome and we had an early lunch stop at a little town called Orvieto.  It was a beautiful little town except for one fact - it was on the absolute top of a mountain - making it very had to take over in war and times of unrest. Noddy told us that the last person to conquer Orvieto was Julius Caesar - she also told us that they were famous for their porchetta panini's (wild boar rolls)... We had to try one. Being a town on a giant cliff face we had to catch a strangle little train/carriage thing from the bottom to the top. We then had a very steep walk up to the town centre - Orvieto also had a Duomo that looked like a liquorice all-sort on one side.  We had some free time so some of the group went to do a tour of the underground tunnels of the

Euro Adventures Pt 13 - Gondolas, SpeedBoats & Souvenirs? Oh My!

A day in Venice - that's the dream. We arose nice and early in the morning to bus it into the outskirts of the old city of Venice. Made up of over 150 islands joined by bridges and canals, we had to get the people mover (kind of like a monorail) into the main part of the city. You can't drive cars in or around the more historic part of Venice so we began our journey into St Marc's square on foot. It was a very long walk and our guide, Noddy, does walk very very fast. We stopped at a few key places along the way to take photos, the Da Vinci museum, the Academia gallery, the Academia bridge and finally into St Marc's Square.  It has been 7 long years since I have been to Venice but it was just as I remember... Except there were hardly any people. We were there quite early in the morning so there were very few tourists at this stage and the souvenir stall owners were just starting to set up. After a walk around last the Basilica, the Doges Palace and the Bridge of Sighs we